Volume 19: Scholarly Teaching and Learning
InSight: A Journal of Scholarly Teaching is a scholarly publication designed to highlight the work of postsecondary faculty at colleges and universities across the United States. It is a refereed scholarly journal published annually by the Faculty Center for Innovation (FCI) at Park University that features theoretical and empirically-based research articles, critical reflection pieces, case studies, and classroom innovations relevant to teaching, learning, and assessment.
InSight articles focus broadly on Scholarly Teaching in the higher education environment. Faculty are encouraged to submit original manuscripts that showcase scholarly teaching processes or critically discuss the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) as a scholarship paradigm. While reports of scholarly teaching projects are welcome, InSight is also committed to continuing broader conversations about SoTL’s value as a tool for advancing student learning and demonstrating faculty commitment to teaching.
Faculty are encouraged to submit manuscripts related to:
- Challenges/Responses to the SoTL paradigm
- Developing institution or discipline-specific understandings/definitions of SoTL
- Status reports of SoTL’s role in a particular discipline (and what other disciplines might learn from the report)
- Guidance to faculty new to SoTL (on developing inquiry questions, determining methodologies, making SoTL work public, etc.)
- Examples of SoTL projects at the college/university course or discipline-level
- Intersections of SoTL and service-learning, eLearning, learning communities, and other learning initiatives
- Future directions in SoTL
- Cross-disciplinary and cross-institutional collaborations for promoting SoTL
- IRB – Any studies using human subjects or artifacts as examples should submit Internal Review Board (IRB) approval or exemption.
- STYLE – All manuscripts must be formatted in APA style.
- LENGTH – Manuscripts may range from 2,000 – 5,000 words (not including abstract, references or appendices). Authors are encouraged to include appendices that promote application and integration of materials (i.e., assignments, rubrics, examples, etc.).
- ABSTRACT – Each manuscript must be summarized in an abstract of 50 to 100 words.
- AUTHOR – Each author should provide his/her full name, title and departmental affiliation, campus address, telephone number, and email address. Each author must also include a brief biography (no more than 100 words per author).
- FORMAT – All manuscripts must be submitted in Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format and follow the journal’s formatting guidelines (single spaced, justified alignment, 9 pt. font, Helvetica Neue for headings, and Palatino Linotype for the body). Do not include personal identifiers within the manuscript. Include contact information only on a separate cover sheet. Each manuscript will be assigned a unique identifier for blind review processes.
Manuscripts will be submitted via InSight’s updated submission/editorial platform, Scholastica. Click on the “Submit via Scholastica” button, or submit via the Scholastica website at https://submissions.scholasticahq.com
When submitting your manuscript, please place the word “InSight” as your first key word to let us know this is a SoTL submission.
InSight submissions are accepted on a rolling basis. Accepted pieces will be published online as soon as they are prepared for final publication. Articles accepted on or prior to April 30, 2024 will be included in Volume 19 of InSight for the 2023-2024 academic year.
Submissions will be subject to a double-blind peer review. A manuscript is evaluated based on relevance, practical utility, originality, generalizability, clarity, significance and the extent to which the subject matter contributes to the ongoing development of the scholarship of teaching and learning. Review process and publication decisions will require approximately 12 weeks. Referees’ feedback and editorial comments will be provided to the author when revisions are requested. FCI retains the final authority to accept or reject all submitted manuscripts.
Manuscript submissions are accepted with the assumption that they neither have been nor will be published elsewhere. Authors retain the copyright in the article and have explicit rights to use the article in future research, teaching, and other projects.
All inquiries should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.