Call for Papers
Volume 12: Scholarly Teaching and Learning
InSight: A Journal of Scholarly Teaching is a scholarly publication designed to highlight the work of postsecondary faculty at colleges and universities across the United States. It is a refereed scholarly journal published annually by the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) at Park University that features theoretical and empirically-based research articles, critical reflection pieces, case studies, and classroom innovations relevant to teaching, learning, and assessment.
InSight articles focus broadly on Scholarly Teaching. Faculty are encouraged to submit original manuscripts that showcase scholarly teaching processes or critically discuss the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) as a scholarship paradigm. While reports of scholarly teaching projects are welcome, InSight is also committed to continuing broader conversations about SoTL’s value as a tool for advancing student learning and demonstrating faculty commitment to teaching.
Faculty are encouraged to submit manuscripts related to:
- Challenges/Responses to the SoTL paradigm
- Developing institution or discipline-specific understandings/definitions of SoTL
- Status reports of SoTL’s role in a particular discipline (and what other disciplines might learn from the report)
- Guidance to faculty new to SoTL (on developing inquiry questions, determining methodologies, making SoTL work public, etc.)
- Examples of SoTL projects at the course or discipline-level
- Intersections of SoTL and service-learning, eLearning, learning communities, and other learning initiatives
- Future directions in SoTL
- Cross-disciplinary and cross-institutional collaborations for promoting SoTL
- STYLE – All manuscripts must be formatted in APA style.
- LENGTH – Manuscripts may range from 2,000 – 5,000 words (not including abstract, references or appendices). Authors are encouraged to include appendices that promote application and integration of materials (i.e., assignments, rubrics, examples, etc.).
- ABSTRACT – Each manuscript must be summarized in an abstract of 50 to 100 words.
- AUTHOR – Each author should provide his/her full name, title and departmental affiliation, campus address, telephone number, and email address. Each author must also include a brief biography (no more than 100 words per author).
- FORMAT – All manuscripts must be submitted via email as attachments in Microsoft Word or Rich Text Format. Do not include personal identifiers within the manuscript. Include contact information only on a separate cover sheet. Each manuscript will be assigned a unique identifier for blind review processes. Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DEADLINE – All submissions must be received by 4:00pm on March 1, 2017 (CST) to be considered for inclusion in Volume 12. However, submissions are accepted on a rolling basis.
Submissions will be subject to a double blind peer-review. A manuscript is evaluated based on relevance, practical utility, originality, generalizability, clarity, significance and the extent to which the subject matter contributes to the ongoing development of the scholarship of teaching and learning. Review process and publication decisions will require approximately 12 weeks. Referees’ feedback and editorial comments will be provided to the author when revisions are requested. CETL retains the final authority to accept or reject all submitted manuscripts. The publication will be distributed both in print and online in fall 2017.
Manuscript submissions are accepted with the assumption that they neither have been nor will be published elsewhere. Authors and CETL will hold joint copyright to all published manuscripts.
All inquiries should be directed to: email@example.com.